Today is a good day. I am finding awesome mixes on Soundcloud with tracklist, so there’s plenty of reasons for me to be happy. Today I found a mix which is so damn good, it takes me back to my youth. What kind of music would that be? Trance, exactly! That (and also Hardcore) was the kind of music I would listen to, growing up. Trance had a huge impact on me, and even to this day it takes me to another level of euphoria. I might not purchase as much as I did during the early days of Trance, but I still listen to many mixes and appreciate the feeling it generates.
One mix I found today was a liveset by John Askew, which was recorded at the EDC in Las Vegas about a month ago. He played at the VII stage, and he destroyed it. Not in a bad way, but only in a good way. Playing awesome tunes to a crowd of thousands, people still talk about it online how good it was. And if you look at the statistics on Soundcloud you will see that a lot of people still love Trance a lot. 10.4k+ plays so far, and it’s only been online for a month. This has not only taken me back to the early days of Trance, but it also enlightened the fire within me, and I am demanding myself to dig through my old collection and play them out loud. After I’ve listened to this mix, obviously.
The tracklist was kindly provided by John himself, so let’s see what he has selected to compose his set at EDC Las Vegas.
01. ID – ID
02. Earth Nation – Alienated (John Askew Remix)
03. Greg Downey – Midnight (Stoneface & Terminal Remix)
04. Disclosure – Dramatic (John Askew Remix)
05. Ikerya Project feat Robin Vane – Kingdom (Askew Edit)
06. Marksun & Brian – Neno Itome (Stoneface & Terminal Remix)
07. John Askew – A Million Stars
08. Unknown – Saluting Di Stefano (John Askew Mash Up)
09. Alex Leavon – Amaya (Askew Edit)
10. John Askew – Raven
11. John Askew – A Million Stars (Beatman & Ludmilla Remix)
12. FutureShock – Sparc (John Askew Rework)
13. John Askew – Supersonic
14. John Askew – Black Coffee
15. Alex Di Stefano – What’s The Catch
16. Henrik B – Stuntman (John Askew Rework)
17. Heatbeat – Section 9
18. The WLT – Sierra (John Askew Remix)
19. John Askew – Giving You Acid (Sly One vs Jurrane Remix)
20. DJ Misjah – The Siren (John Askew Rework)
21. Empirion – Narcotic Influence (John Askew Remix)
22. Sean Tyas – Da Doo Da Dah (John Askew Remix)
This blew my mind away! I’ve seen many livesets before, but this one is focussed on the DJ a lot! You can not miss his name in this mix, it’s everywhere. John Askew made it, or remixed it. But his name does appear a lot in this mix, and in this case it isn’t a bad thing. It’s actually a good thing. You get fantastic music, remixed by someone who knows what he’s doing.
One of these tracks literally took me back to Innercity, I think it was 2000. The track I’m talking about is ‘Sparc’, still one of my most favourite CDs ever. This record is on it, and it’s still a dope track, even after 17 years. John Askew did some work to it, stayed true to the original, but gave it the 2017 touch. I’m digging both versions a lot.
If I would have been there at the EDC, I would have had a brilliant time. DJs who keep the older sound alive are my personal heroes. Those who tune it too much to suit the present day (by adding Hard House bits and bobs in it), they aren’t my heroes. I do love my Trance to be pure and extatic (or however you spell it). Euphoric. Not just bashing your head against the speakers and make the whole crowd jump from left to right. That’s not Trance. Trance is your hands in the air and embrace your life, and humanity.
This set was exactly the kind of set I was looking for. Thanks John Askew for this. This is pure Trance. Solid as a rock. And f**king good!
DJ: John Askew
Genre/Style: Trance, Progressive Trance, Uplifting Trance
Liveset Info: Recorded @ VII Stage – EDC Las Vegas 16-06-2017
Length Liveset: 01:29:29
Tracks: 22 (twenty-two)
Download/Listen (via Soundcloud): DOWNLOAD/LISTEN
File Size: 204 MB
File Type: mp3
More Information: John Askew – Facebook Fanpage