Trance Energy, one of the most legendary Trance events ever, where did it go? What happened to it? It was so succesful over the years, and did build up a reputation of being awesome.It was the home of Trance music, and had the biggest names ever playing in front of tens of thousands of people. Starting back in 1999, they slowely grew to a phenomena, and since 2003 it was held every year at the Jaarbeurs in Utrecht. For whatever reason, ID&T decided to change the name to ‘Energy’, which didn’t do it any justice. It led to poor ticket sales. and 2013 was the last year it was organised. Bear it mind back in 1999 it had the Name ‘Energy 2000′.
In 2013 they decided to stop hosting Trance Energy/Energy, due to poor ticket sales. But slowely it’s coming back. At this year’s Tomorrowland they had an area dedicated to Trance Energy, and they also released a CD commemorating the event and the history attached to the name.
A couple of weeks ago I found this liveset by one of the pioneers of Trance music, Paul van Dyk, recorded at the 2009 edition of Trance Energy. That year had a ridicilously good line-up: Marcel Woods, John O’Callaghan, Fausto, Armin van Buuren, Bas & Ram, Johan Gielen, Scot Project, Jochem Miller, Yves DeRuyter, Joop!, Rank1, Aly & Fila, and many more. Paul doesn’t need an introduction, he’s one of those names which you see on many flyers, and you will immediately know that the set is going to be good. He has never let us down, music wise.
There was also a tracklist added, so sit back and enjoy!
01. Simon Patterson – Thump (Original Mix) (PvD Mashup) + (Live Keyboardstrings)
02. Barry Jay – Infused (+ Live Keyboardstrings)
03. Wippenberg – Chakalaka
04. Simon Bostock – Human Nature / Joey V – Chopperchunk (Mark Sherry’s Outburst Mix) (Sample) / Hard Fi – Suburban Knights (Angello & Ingrosso Remix)
05. David Forbes – Foldback
06. Oceania – Always (Stoneface & Terminal Remix)
07. Orla Feeney – Comic Strip
08. Hensha presents Lost Sequence – Monday Delay (Artic Moon Remix)
09. John Askew – Vandalism
10. Paul van Dyk feat Johnny McDaid – Home (Paul van Dyk Club Mix)
11. Re-Verse – Distant Destiny / Elektrochemie LK – Schall (Vocal Sample)
12. Jo Micali – Euphoria (Cesae Lugo Remix) / Paul van Dyk feat Wayne Jackson – The Other Side (Vocal Sample)
13. Adam Kancerski – All Day Long / Paul van Dyk feat Wayne Jackson – The Other Side (Vocal Sample)
14. Sabanci & Truby – Leaving Ankara
15. Cellec vs Ersa – Bold
16. Mainx – 88 To Piano (PvD Rework)
17. Jonesy – Independance (Stadium Mix)
18. Camisra – Let Me Show You
19. Carnival Junkie – After Dark (ID Remix) / Philippe B vs Todd Terry – Can You Feel It? (Vocal Sample) / ID – ID (PvD Mashup)
20. Dave Darell – Children (Club Mix)
21. DJ Joe K – Born Slippy (Extended Club Mix)
22. Eric Prydz – Pjanoo (PvD Mashup)
23. Paul van Dyk & Alex M.O.R.P.H. feat Ashley Tomberlin – Get Back (Re:Locate Remix)
24. Lisa Miskovsky – Still Alive (PvD Remix)
25. Paul Webster – Nailed / Elektrochemie LK – Schall (Vocal Sample)
26. Funkagenda – What The Fuck / Emmanuel Top – Mars (Kai Tracid Remix) (PvD Mashup)
27. The Killers – Human (Ferry Corsten Dub Remix) / Stoneface & Terminal – Volcano (2am Mix) (PvD Mashup)
28. Paul van Dyk – For An Angel
29. Yoav – Beautiful Lie (Giuseppe Ottoviani Remix)
30. Filo & Peri – Drops Of Jupiter
31. Paul van Dyk feat Vega4 – Time Of Our Live (UK Club Mix)
32. Paul van Dyk feat Johnny McDaid – Home
Holy moly, this was a tracklist and a half! That did hurt my fingers a lot. I couldn’t copy and just paste it, it would be ruined, and not be the same outlook as all the other reviews, so I had to write them down. I’ve left a few bits and bobs away, don’t need to write down ‘live keyboardstrings’ with every record. You get the point lol.
Before you all get hyped up, let me warn you, around 23 minutes the recording goes a bit completely bonkers. And the MC, whoever he is, is just a bit annoying. Well, not just a tiny bit, really annoying. The quality of the recording ain’t the best, but this was aired live on a radio station (which I keep forgetting to listen to the name, but it’s an ad, so my mind blocks the adverts immediately).
Paul has used a wide variety of records to please the listeners at home and the fans right in front of him. The result is a very good liveset. He goes backwards and forwards, using new and old records, and the result is a set people are really digging. Not just playing Trance, as the tracklist shows you. But that’s just the beauty of this set. Paul does what Paul does best, and entertains the crowd at one of the world’s finest Trance events.
Could he have played a Trance set without his biggest anthem ever? Nope. And this version pleases everyone, young and old.
An amazing set. A few let downs, which aren’t Paul’s fault. But worth checking out this truly astonishing set. 8 years old, still sounding fresh and up to date.
Please let Trance Energy make its return. I really need to go and experience what everyone experience during its heydays. And I want to see Paul play. That’s on my bucket list.
DJ: Paul van Dyk
Genre/Style: Trance, Progressive Trance, Tech Trance, Techno, Euphoric Trance, Uplifting Trance
Liveset Info: Recorded @ Trance Energy, Jaarbeurs Utrecht, The Netherlands, 07-03-2009
Length Liveset: 02:01:17
Tracks: 32 (thirty-two)
Download/Listen (via Soundcloud): LISTEN HERE
File Size: 167 MB
File Type: mp3
More Information: Paul van Dyk – Facebook Fanpage